Jane's African Blog

Progress reports on my adventure to South Africa - to speak at the LIASA national library conference!

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Travel Update

Hi Everyone.
Time is passing quickly and so is my departure date! The e-tickets have come and I depart Chicago on September 18th. I will travel through Amsterdam and then on to Johannesburg. It appears the flight to Holland is 8 hours long with a one hour wait for the next leg of 10 hours, 40 minutes. So 18 hours and 40 minutes of flying. I hope I have enough books to get me through... If not I can always work on my speeches!

My calendar in South Africa is really full. I will have a day and two night to rest up before the whirlwind begins with a visit to two schools in Soweto and speaking with teacher librarians in Johannesburg. I will then trave to Free State to visit 2 or 3 of the 8 schools which received the books we shipped last spring. While there my hosts want me to speak with principals of the schools as well as with school managers and other district officials. From there I will drive to Bloemfontein to catch a plane to Durban.

I am not sure what the schedule in Durban looks like, but I may have a little time to do some sightseeing while there. I do know that I will be back in Johannesburg by Sunday and on to the LIASA Conference for Monday.

So much to get done...speeches to write or at least outline, powerpoints to prepare, luggage to pack - after I figure out what to wear! There there are the dozens of things still to do in my everyday life like going to work, doing orientations and things at church. Never a dull moment.

So many people have been encouraging and excited for me. Several people I didn't know before but who heard about this trip have given me names of people I can contact in SA, tips about what to see or visit. It makes me feel like I have many friends going along! In a way, I do!

More when I have it!
Bye for now.
jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home